Vortex was a school project I worked on during the
year 1997. The idea was to create a program we could use to
generate fluid dynamics animations. The main algorithm used was
first described by Nick Foster and Dimitri Metaxas in a paper
called Realistic Animation Of Liquids.
Here are some features :
- Cross-platform : 3 programmers
worked on this project, one of them on DEC Alpha, the
second on PC with Windows, and the last one on PC with
MS-DOS. The final version of Vortex perfectly worked on
the three systems and that year we learnt a lot
about compatibility !
- Platform-independent UI : we
recoded a complete event-driven window system, with
custom buttons, sliders, and all the stuff we needed.
- Realtime rendering for the preview
- Raytracing for the final rendering
- Particle system, mixed with the fluid
- Fractal generated terrains to create
nice moutains and lakes
- Bump map support for cheap water
Back to main