Added a “blood puddle” effect to Konoko Payne. It’s a lot of technology just for a small effect:
- the puddle is a dynamic mesh computed using marching squares. The shape is random and different each time the effect is called.
- the mesh is then rendered to a texture
- texture color is a base blood color modulated by Perlin noise. Transparency also uses Perlin.
- the texture is then rendered to the ground below the character, using projective texturing
- plus all the usual culling management to avoid doing that all the time
The effect is only played when you finish opponents with the pistol (Black Adder). It doesn’t appear when you finish them with hand-to-hand combat, that way the effect is not over-used.
In the end, it looks quite effective - especially in motion when the puddle grows and grows below the character.